Pullover, above mid-knee, semi-fittted straight dresses A, B, C have elastic waist casing, stitched hem and bodice variations; dress A is sleeveless; dress B has three-quarter sleeves; dress c is leeveless with self sash; dresses A, B, C have optional back strap; optional purchase belt.
Misses 6-14. I sewed a "12" at the shoulders and at the draped neckline. I sewed a "14" elsewhere.
Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it? Yes!
Fabric Used:
Polyester knit.
Were the instructions easy to follow?
Yes. Things to take careful note would be the pleated markings on the front and back bodice, the fold lines, and the triangle marks where the optional back strap would be placed. As I was cutting the fabric, I cut out little extra notches or protruding triangles to represent the start and end of a pleat.
Special thanks to the delightful Catbird for her helpful reference to a tutorial for making those itty-bitty spaghetti straps or button loops without those loop turners (which I never obtained proficiency in using) and a safety pin, whose name is one of the biggest paradoxes. I used this blog tutorial to create the back strap. It really does work!
Favorite Features
*The front and back drape. Although the back is a bit low than what I am accustomed to, I like its "daring-but-still-modest" style.
*The dress is not boxy or sack-like due to the elasticated or elasticized waistline at the junction of the bodice and skirt pieces.
* The slightly fitted style reminiscent of certain early 1960's sheath dresses. It seems to flatter any shape and size, especially one as not well proportioned as myself.
There is nothing much to dislike, except for watching ...
(a) the length of the bodice, especially if you have a short torso. But the style is "forgiving" especially after adding the elastic to bring up the seam between the bodice and skirt portion.
(b) the low back revealing the back of your bra, which could easily be remedied by occasionally pulling down the back of your bra and pulling the front of the bodice a little forward, or simply using adhesive cups. Very long hair pushed to the back a la 70's Cher could help.
My usual:
*One-inch petite adjustment at the length adjustment lines
*Instead of making an elastic casing, I sewed elastic directly to the seam allowance using the stretch and stitch method, since nobody would be able to see the non-encased elastic from the outside. I recall doing this for a New Look knit dress years ago. Also without a belt or sash, there would be less conspicious "bunching" than from using the casing method.
Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others? Yes! Now that I sewed it once, it will be much easier. I highly recommend this pattern especially for beginners and/or as a "first" dress project.
I became convinced to appreciate this dress after wearing it out of the house for the first time. Although the sewing time for dress took longer than an hour for me, it is one of the "easiest" dresses to put together. For me, the cutting took longer than the sewing!
Photo taken by my 7 year old daughter
Photo taken by my 7 year old daughter
I just love that on you! The style and the print are perfect.
ReplyDeleteVery cute!
ReplyDeleteBeautiful, flattering style for you. I love the back and front cowl. Will definitely make one of these come summer.
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteI love your version of this dress,goregous fabric....This dress really is comfortable and a quick sew!
ReplyDeleteVery cute and flaterring!
ReplyDeleteThe dress looks great on you. very pretty print!
ReplyDeleteGorgeous dress. I have the pattern and my cutting table now. I am a little concerned tha the back may be too low for me to wear to my office job.
ReplyDeleteWhat a great dress - you look lovely!
ReplyDeleteCute dress! I love the colors in the print.
ReplyDeleteThat dress looks gorgeous on you.. totally love how it fits.
ReplyDeleteVery flattering on you--I'm glad you finally gave it a spin! This is next on my to-sew list, though I think I will attempt to raise up the back so I can wear it to work.
ReplyDeleteI have seen multiple versions of this and although the creator always looks wonderful and raves about the pattern, I've not been drawn to it. After seeing how lovely you look, I am going to give it a try!
ReplyDeleteCute dress! I like the front and back necklines.
ReplyDeleteLove your version of this dress. My DD is my photographer too.
ReplyDelete