Saturday, April 09, 2011

Plaid Row-mance

I really like the February 2011 of Burda Style.  There are several enticing looking styles, but I do not have the time and patience to trace even a simple pattern due to sifting through the convoluted network of lines.  But there is one pattern that I highly recommend if you have this issue.




Pattern Description:
A fitted stretch jersey top.


Pattern Sizing:
34-36-38-40-42. I sewed my typical 38" at the shoulders and "40" elsewhere. With the knit that I was using, I should have increased a size.


Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it? Somewhat.


Fabric Used:
Lady Ga-Gargyle
Remaining argyle-printed cotton jersey from EmmaOneSock.com that I originally used for Heather's Simplicity3811 top.



Argyles on the runway for fall 2011, Alberta Ferreiri



Were the instructions easy to follow?
It Was Sewn This Way, Sewn This Way...
Because this top consisted of only a front, back, and sleeves, I did not use them. The directions contain the barebone or minimal steps, except for the step that details the application of the neck bias binding, which was confusing due to the choice of words, or the meaning got lost in translation. I recommend replacing Burda's method with your reliable method to finish the neckline.


Thumbs Up
* I like that it was easy to sew (especially if you have a serger), especially if you replace the bias neck binding with a topstitched hem.

*Versatile pattern with superb potential for personal neckline, sleeve, and embellishment options.


Wavering Thumbs
* Often I learn something AFTER the fact. I should have added a little more to the width of the shoulders and upper chest when I lowered the neckline by snipping away at the neckline (something I rarely due to the typically low neckline depth of Burda blouses). I also should have further stabilized the lower hem due to the fabric I was using.

* i agree with other fellow PR'ers of this pattern. Certain fabrics will affect the fit of this top. With a drapier knit (i.e. poly knits), I would use my typical Burda size and with a cotton knit, I would use one size larger.


Pattern alterations or any design changes you made:
*One of those rare instances where I lowered the neckline on a Burda pattern. To add an illusion of neck length, I scooped approximately 1 3/4" from the center, tapering to 0" before the shoulder seam.

*Made my usual 1" petite adjustments between the waist and bust

*Lengthened the sleeve 1". My arms are designed for a woman that is 5'5" tall.

*Shortened the upper back 1/2"

*Replaced the bias binding at the neckline with a decorative topstitched hem.

*Instead of "setting-in" the sleeves, I sewed the sleeves in flat or stitched it to the armscye prior to sewing the sleeve seams and side seams as one continuous seam.




Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others?
Yes after a few more alterations. I recommend this pattern due to being a nice basic knit top pattern and also feel free to experiment with different types of knit to discover the fit you want to achieve.


Conclusion:
This pattern seems like the easiest pattern from this issue to trace, cut, and sew! Maybe it's time to purchase a serger....

10 comments:

  1. Great job on both tops! I'm with you on Burda's horrible tracing issues recently. I stopped subscribing after they reduced the sheets. My membership stopped in January. Boo Burda!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wait, you sew all these knits with no serger?? You are a rock star! You'd LOVE a serger!
    I love this top - cute print and nice shape. I'll have to wrangle those dreadful pattern sheets...
    My last issue will be this May and I don't think I'm renewing. It's just become more of a hassle than I'm willing to do.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Both garments look great! Your daughter is soo cute and adorable! I am curious on how you managed to sew knits without a serger. I am still quite afraid of sewing knits. Anyway, you did a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very nice. I need to dig in my stash for some plaid.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely tops and your daughter is so adorable. I have yet to do a Burda pattern and mainly the tracing keeps me at bay. Hopefully one day.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a lovely print! Your neckline alteration works really well for the top.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Super tops! I sew my knits with a sewing machine too, even though I have a serger. A lot of people like to sew with the serger though. It's a matter of preference.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's such a fun print for those tops!

    I'm still waiting for Burda to change its ways. For now, I'm happy to sew from my old Burdas.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love how you have made this simple top look really fabulous by using such an inspired choice of fabric. It looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I loved this issue too! Great top.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting! Anonymous comments will be moderated and spam comments will be discarded and not published. Leave a name, if you do not have a blogger ID.