Saturday, May 19, 2012

Just Faux Fun

I was inspired by the versions of the dresses and tops created by previous reviewers of this pattern.

Pattern Description:
 Raglan top/dress with faux wrap front with sleeve options. Also there is a pattern for a pair of pants. I sewed the shorter dress with the cap sleeves. I replaced the buckle and hoop piece with the same tie used for the right front wrap. Pattern Sizing: Size 8-16. I sewed a "12" at the top and a "14" elsewhere. If I had followed my intuition, I would have sewed an "8" at the shoulders and the bodice.


Faux wrap dresses are still trending!

Alfani faux wrap dress with a side tie for nearly $90.



Directions
They were satisfactory except for some confusion that I encountered at step 4.   I was puzzled at the diagram which appears to be an error for the right front (what I call the "over drape") to be attached to the back. It appears to be reflected to look like a "left front". At first I thought I had cut the pattern piece in the wrong direction. Several reviewers mentioned this diagram. Apart from step #4, if you have sewn wrap dresses before, you should experience very little or no difficulty in following the directions.

 Fabric
I used a cotton jersey with what seems to be lycra.  I like the festive colors and the "paint splash" effect of the print.  If I were asked to give this print a name, I would say "Splashes of Samba".




Favorite Features/Not-so Favorite Features
 I like wrap dresses in general: faux and true wrap dresses. The dress as a whole was simple to construct with the notches matching nicely. The right overlay consists of three pleats that clevely conceals my tummy and is figure flattering.

The only things that I am not fond of were (a) the kimono sleeves that overwhelmed my frame, which I eventually shortened to provide a better aesthetic balance, and (b) the uncomfortably low neckline with the extra ease. My "quick fix" is later explained in the "modifications" paragraph.


 Pattern alterations or any design changes:
*Took in the center back seam 1/2" for a total of 1" to reduce some gaping at my upper back.

 *Made my usual 1" petite adjustment at the "waistline" printed at the left front, right front, and back pattern pieces.




 * My left front of the dress experienced some gaping. Since the right front wraps over the left,  I could easily control how tight or loose of the wrap will be with the side ties.  As for the left I could not, because it had been already stitched to the left side seam.  To simultaneously reduce some gaping and to raise the neckline to a more comfortable level, I pulled out a "wedge" of fabric (approximately 1" from the corner) from the left front where I experienced the gaping, so that it pushes out some extra fabric beyond the original side seams and raises the neckline accordingly.  Then I re-stitched the left side seam from a higher point beneath the armscye. Not a pretty sight from the inside, but at least I would not have to worry about unwanted extra exposure. Here is a picture of my quick fix:



 * I removed 3" from the lower hem.



I plan to sew the top version with the short sleeves after a few adjustments to the pattern pieces. I still recommend this pattern for its on-trend style and ease of construction. You are one of the fortunate ones if this pattern fits you perfectly out of the envelope!

2 comments:

  1. I'm not "Getting" the wedge taken from the pattern piece, and why only the left front? I need pictures, or maybe a new brain, or something. lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love that bright print! I need to get around to making this again...

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting! Anonymous comments will be moderated and spam comments will be discarded and not published. Leave a name, if you do not have a blogger ID.